"Invest for the long term" is great financial advice, but it is also great healthcare advice. There are short-term gains form taking care of your health and well-beeing, to be sure, but the long-term benefits are not to be underestimated.
You may already know the value of bodywork. For all the short-term stress and pain relief you get from massage today, there are lasting rewards you'll thank yourself for down the road. Massage therapy as a preventive measure and part of an ongoing care regimen can mean fewer visits to the doctor, as well as fewer co-pays, prescriptions, and over the counter medications. Ultimately, it means a healthier and happier you.
An Excellent Value
As you plan the family budget, ponder how massage therapy impacts your ability to make good decisions, cope with extra responsibilities, stay on an even keel emotionally and spiritually, and maintain harmonious relationships with coworkers, family, and friends.
Research supports the value of massage. Massage provides many benefits, including improved concentration, energy, circulation, and self-esteem, as well as reduced stress, fatigue and pain. If you, or your loved one, are already dealing with a health condition, massage is an even more important part of your healthcare planning.
- Alzheimer's patients exhibit reduced irritability, pacing, and restlessness after neck and shoulder massage.
- Deep tissue massage is effective in treating arthritis, back pain, fibromyalgia, and osteoarthritis.
- Fibromyalgia patients receiving massage have fewer sleep problems and less anxiety, depression, fatigue, pain and stiffness.
- Massage during pregnancy reduces stress and anxiety and relax muscles. Some medical professionals say massage shortens labor.
- Massage can reduce sports-related soreness and improve circulation, and is beneficial in reducing symptoms associated with arthritis, asthma, burns, high blood pressure, and premenstrual syndrome.
- Oncology patients show less anxiety, depression, fatigue, nausea, and pain following massage therapy.
- Massage therapy is effective in reducing post-surgical pain and can even reduce the time required for post-operative hospital stays.
You may be trimming some extras out or your budget, as many Americans are. When weighing what goes and what stays, consider what an excellent value massage is, especially in relation to things that my be less valuable, but still cost you plenty.
There are many ways to keep massage in your life if you use your imagination. While vacations are definitely needed right now by just about everybody more and more Americans are staying closer to home. How about planning a healthy, home based vacation an including massage as part of your rejuvenation?
When it comes to gift-giving occasions, why not give and ask for massage gift certificates? Massage makes a wonderful replacement for flowers that wilt, sweaters that don't fit, or another box of fattening candy.
If you are an employer, consider gifting your staff an on-site chair massage, which has been shown to reduce stress and improve performance. Just think of it as the ultimate pat on the back for staff and one that pays you back.
You may be temped to trim your wellness budget when economic times are tough. Yet, a recent national consumer survey showed most massage-minded Americans are still committed to maintaining the health benefits they receive with massage. It only makes sense. The better you feel, the better job you can do of caring for yourself and your loved ones. Massage therapy will also help families under stress create healthier households, and more focused and relaxed moms and dads. Children are sensitive and often pick up on tension in a household; parents who are taking care of themselves are more likely to provide a sense of calm to their kids. This goes for caregivers of aging parents too.
Now, more than ever, massage should play a role in reducing your stress and strengthening your health. When people feel their best, they are more able to face the challenges difficult times present. With greater health and peace of mind, you can face difficulties with poise, clarity of purpose, and strengthened emotional reserves.
Truly, massage is more than a luxury - it's a vital part of self-care that has positive ripple effect on you as you work, play, and care for others. Investing in your health is one investment that's certain to pay off.